Saturday, January 23, 2010

BOGO Sales and Coupon Issues

Collin at Hip2Save.com posted this about BOGO sales and using coupons on both items or using a BOGO coupon on a BOGO sale! I love it! So I thought I'd share it with you guys!


Before posting the CVS weekly deals I wanted to let you all know about an awesome email I received from reader Jewel.  She recently encountered issues with trying to use a buy one get one free coupon on a buy one get one free sale at CVS. She emailed CVS about her frustrations and this is what they emailed back:
Thank you for contacting CVS/pharmacy.  Your e-mail has reached the Customer Relations Department.  We appreciate the time you have taken to contact us with your inquiry.
In the case where a particular item is on sale for “buy one get one free” (BOGO), you are only allowed to use one manufacturer’s BOGO coupon.  For instance, if Revlon lipstick is on sale for BOGO, you can use one manufacturer’s BOGO coupon.  You would get both items free and pay any applicable tax.  We reserve the right to limit quantities.  If our store is running a sale for BOGO, you can use two manufacturer’s coupons for a specific dollar amount off.  For example, if Revlon lipstick is on sale at our store for BOGO, you can use two $1.00 off Revlon lipstick manufacturer coupons.
Again, thank you for contacting us.  We value your business and look forward to serving you in the future.  Have a wonderful evening!
Sincerely,
CVS/pharmacy
Customer Relations
*******************************************
Victory, right?! I will be posting this with all the CVS Store guide info. I would suggest printing it off and keeping it with you every time you shop at CVS. This may come in handy if any issues should arise.
Also, I posted previously about my thoughts on using 2 coupons on a buy one get one free sale. I thought I’d go ahead and re-post what I stated for new readers.
Can you use two manufacturer (money off) coupons on a buy one get one free sale?
In my opinion YES! Now this is just my opinion and you don ‘t have to agree with it.
The reason I feel this way is because a stores sale has nothing to do with a manufacturer coupon. These are 2 separate ways to get a discount and when combined you can save quite a bit. As couponers, that’s what we do. We wait for a store sale and combine it with a manufacturers coupon to snag a sweet deal! With that being said, using 2 coupons on a buy one get one free sale (in my opinion) is the same as using coupons with any other in-store sale.
Some stores will also try to stop you from using a coupon on each item when they’re offering a buy one get one free sale. Most store coupon policies state that you CAN use a coupon on each item, so in my opinion them not allowing you to use both coupons is ridiculous. What some cashiers don’t realize is that either way you pay for the 2 products (cash or coupons) they’ll be getting the same amount back. They will be getting the cash right then or the coupons once they mail them in for redemption. Plus, by sending in the 2 coupons they will also be making an $0.08 handling fee on each one…hmmm… I think I’d rather choose the manufacturer coupons!
When a store is having a buy one get one free sale, it’s really more of a great advertsing tool. People think WOW! I am getting something free! Really, though, a buy one get one free sale is a 50% off sale, but actually not even as great. With a 50% off sale, you ONLY have to purchase one product. With a bogo sale, you’re forced to purchase two. This brings me to my next point. If two items were on a 50% sale you would be able to use a manufacturer coupon on each of them, so why is there such an issue with doing this on a buy one get one free sale?
A manufacturer coupon states one item per purchase. If you purchase two items you CAN use two coupons and you are purchasing two items in a buy one get one free sale. You are purchasing two at 50% off the retail price. No matter how they show up on your receipt, that is exactly what you’re doing.
When a manufacturer puts out a high value coupon for a certain product and lots of stores have sales for this product,  that means one thing– the manufacturer wants you to GO buy that product. Even if you snag the product for FREE- they still want you to try it. If you like it, then that means cash in their pockets, since you’ll probably be purchasing this item again, again, and again. That’s the whole point of putting coupons out there and having in-store sales and promotions— to get you to try products you never would have otherwise.
Well, I could probably make a few more points, but I think I’ll stop there. I’d love to hear all of your opinions on this topic? Do you agree or disagree?

No comments:

Post a Comment