Thursday, January 21, 2010

Southwestern Mashed Potatoes and Casserole Recipe


This post is brought to you by Ellen over at Thrifty and Chic Mom!
Years ago I had some amazing mashed potatoes
at Don Pablos, never again have I had anything quite like them so today I attempted to recreate them. My result was not exactly the same but I think it’s delicious!
Southwestern Mashed Potatoes
  • 3-4 lbs potatoes ( I used white but any kind will do)
  • 2 dried Guajillo peppers*
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • salt
  • 4 lobes garlic
  • 1 TBS white vinegar
  • 2 TBS butter
  • cheese
Chop and clean your potatoes and place in a pot of boiling water ( I leave skins on but it’s up to you). Add salt and garlic to water. Boil for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are soft. Heat a skillet on high and using tongs press your peppers into the pan until they become more pliable. De-seed peppers and chop into small pieces. In a small pan simmer milk and peppers for 1-2 minutes (water should turn orange). Puree milk and pepper mixture in blender (a Magic Bullet is perfect for this) Drain potatoes and place in mixing bowl, add in butter, vinegar, milk and pepper mixture and salt to taste.  Mix in mixer on medium low until desired consistency. I suggest topping with cheese.
Casserole: To make this a casserole dish follow directions above but also add 1 can drained whole kernel corn to mixer. Place in a casserole dish and top generously with cheese. Bake in oven at 350 for 25-20 minutes or until cheese is melted.
*note this is not very spicy at all these peppers are very mild, I would choose a hotter pepper for my personal tastes to give it more kick.

No comments:

Post a Comment